A Classical Statement – Francis Johnson and Partners Chartered Architects
This substantial new house lies at the edge of a pretty village in the green belt to the north of Leeds. It replaces an undistinguished house built on the edge of an abandoned limestone quarry, now the garden. It is in an early Georgian style and built in Clipsham stone with a roof of Northumbrian sandstone slates. A two storey high swimming pool lies beneath the western elevation.
A large new house in Norfolk, designed by Mr. Johnson and completed after his death. “This large new house sits in the flat but well wooded landscape of central Norfolk. Designed as the centerpiece of the substantial estate and stud farm, it is on the site of a derelict farmhouse. It is in flint with brick dressings in accord with the local vernacular.”
“This house in Cumbria was created by adding a new wing to an existing farmhouse. The new wing is classical in detail; the main door has a rusticated surround after James Gibbs. The wing is linked to the rest of the house by a square tower with a Venetian window and pyramidal roof. This tower contains the stairs and has a domed ceiling. The extensions are of local pink sandstone. The asymmetrical form of the house evokes old country houses that have grown from mediaeval pele-towers.”
This house was converted from a barn in Hampshire. “The house was created from a group of nineteenth century barns. Externally their character remains rural, but the interiors are much more architecturally ambitious. The entrance hall, which serves as a lavish dining room is a double height Palladian room with bold pedimented door cases. ”
The sitting room is in a contrasting lighter style with a fireplace after Batty Langley and a Georgian Gothic ceiling.
Home Farm, Hartforth, winner of the 2009 Georgian Group Award for Best New Building in a Georgian Context. Austen Redman worked on this project. “The house, on the site of the former Home Farm, replaced the old Hall, now an hotel, as the principal house on the estste. The new house is Janus-faced in that the north elevation, which faces onto the farmyard, is in a plain classical style whereas the south elevation, which faces the park, is in the Gothick style. This is justified by the fact that all the subsidiary farm buildings on the Estate were cloaked in Gothick dress in the early 19th century. ”
“The house is on a compact villa plan as popularized by Sir Robert Taylor in the 18th century. At its center is a spectacular cantilevered limestone staircase on an elliptical plan.”
Love the fireplace.
“Although originally conceived as a bathing pavillon, this grand little garden structure became the home of the Pavilion Opera Company. ”
This building is open to the public as part of Sledmere House. “This Orangery has a main facade which dates from circa 1790 and is attributed to Sir John Soane. It was originally part of the orangery at Fairford Park, Gloucestershire, a house which was demolished in 1957. The facade was dismantled by the National Trust and re-erected at Sledmere on the understanding that it would be accessible to the public.
The Bath stone ashlar and Coade stone ornaments were carefully restored prior to reconstruction and new French windows manufactured to a more delicate design than the originals. The other three facades are in brick, that to the rear facing a private swimming pool and incorporate a Palladian arch motif. The Bath stone of the orangery tones remarkably well with the Mansfield stone of Sledmere House and few would realize that it had not always been there.”